Wednesday, January 19, 2011

man, that's a lot of water - first post

How in the hell do people drink this much water every day?

This is what I asked myself as I was reading through answers I found while searching "how much water should I drink a day". The most common answer is eight glasses. Which is all well and good, but I don't know how you measure a glass. Now, a cup is a cup and is however many ounces is in a cup makes up a cup. But a glass comes in all shapes and sizes: tumblers, wine, shot (a personal favorite that always ends with my head over a toilet). And if glasses are anything like plates, then they've increased in size since the whole "8 glasses of water a day" rule started up. But maybe when they say "8 glasses" they really mean "8 cups". But there's only, what, 8 ounces in a cup? That would mean 64 ounces of water a day. And even though I'm struggling right now with my third 20-ounce bottle of the day (that I've been reusing - look at me, Ma, I'm trying to save the planet!), 64 ounces just doesn't seem right.

So I try another website that says you should drink however many ounces that is half your body weight. Like, if you weight 100 pounds, you drink 50 ounces of water a day. So, okay. That means I should be drinking... oh dear God.

And that brings us here. Half of my body weight should not be that. Or should I say, "half of what I think is my body weight"? I use the rusty old-school doctor scale located in my gym's locker room because it says I weight five pounds less than the digital one in the weight room says. And say what you want, but five pounds can make a big difference to a girl who is fighting the battle of the bulge. But for the sake of this blog and to myself, I am going to go by what the digital scale says from now on. Which will probably mean some serious mumbling and grumbling and running my little overweight heart out on the treadmill at the gym.

I will be posting my starting stats here in the next day or so. I look at inches lost more than pounds lost because, well, it makes me feel better. Simple as that. But if the numbers go down, I'm a happy camper.

I guess I should give you some basic information about my lifestyle and all of that.

I've always been a chubster. Ever since I was a kid. And nothing has really changed. I always used the Cartman excuse: "I'm not fat, I'm big boned!", which is halfway true. And it does sound like an excuse, but I do have a large frame. It's something I inherited from my mom's side of the family. I know that I'm not meant to be a size two, four, and maybe not even a six. But the jean size I'm sporting right now isn't what I'm meant to be either.

After I graduated high school and went to college six years ago (side note - holy crap, I graduated high school six years ago? Shit, I'm getting old), I started gaining weight. All in all, I've gained about forty pounds since my senior year of high school.

At one point last year, I weighed the most I ever have. The scale jumped right into the 200s. At that point, it was get healthy or just completely give up. And I tried getting healthy and managed to get the scales to drop a little, but then I got lazy again. The most exercise I got was walking to and from the bars on weekend, and then ordering a greasy pizza once I got back home. Hell, I've ordered the pizza during the walk home since I keep all those numbers in my contacts. Papa John's is nestled right above my grandpa's phone number for Pete's sake. When the Chinese delivery guy knows your voice over the phone, you have problems. And I have problems. But, hey, at least Tom's a nice guy, and he never puts more than one fork in the bag with my food.

Since August of last year, I've lost about 11 inches off my frame (I measure my left arm, left leg, bust, ribcage, waist, and hips) and around 15 pounds. I have no idea how, really. I think I've just been moving around more in general? Seriously, I have no idea and I wish I did because I'd like to lost another 11 inches and 15 pounds off my body. In the past two weeks, I've joined a gym with a friend who has also talked me into vegetarianism since 1) I'm a total pushover and 2) he's the most persuasive bastard on the planet. So, there's that.

All in all, I'm keeping this blog to motivate myself and keep myself on track, and to hopefully meet other people going through the same thing and have them inspire me and maybe even I can inspire them...

Hey, a girl can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment